Re: [gdm-list] /tmp and "GDM could not write to the authorization file"

Hi,
> So, my question.  What files or directories in /tmp is GDM relying upon,
> when logging in an ordinary user?
The xauth cookie (a sort of generated password) that authorizes user's
programs to to talk to the X server.

> And why, exactly, is it not reconstructing them, if they aren't present?  I
> haven't got a problem with a program putting files into /tmp.  But if it's
> depending upon their continuing to be there, from one boot to another, it's
> broken.
It does create them on the fly.  If you're getting that error message
it means it can't.

Do you have selinux enabled?  maybe it's preventing gdm from writing
to /tmp, or maybe /tmp isn't 1777 ?

The output of ls -lZd /tmp would be interesting.

Also, does /usr/bin/setenforce 0 fix things?

--Ray