Re: [gdm-list] /tmp and "GDM could not write to the authorization file"

Brian Cameron wrote:

> jdege:
>
> There are a few things you should look at:
>
> 1) GDM is picky about the ownership and permissions of your $HOME
>     directory and sometimes will not create files if the permissions are
>     not what GDM thinks are sane.  Note the "RelaxPermissions"
>     configuration option.  By default it is 0, which is picky.  Try
>     changing the value to 1 or 2 and see if the problem goes away.  If
>     so, then you can decide if you like GDM to have more relaxed
>     permissions or if you want to fix whatever ownership/perm issue is
>     causing your problem.
>
>     If this is your problem, and you want to know what the specific
>     ownership/perm issue is, then make sure RelaxPermissions is 0, turn
>     on GDM debug, run gdm-restart as root to restart GDM.  Then recreate
>     the problem.  You should then find debug messages in your syslog
>     (/var/log/messages or /var/adm/messages or /var/log/syslog or
>     similar depending on your system).  The debug messages should mention
>     the specific failure.  So if it says your $HOME ownership or
>     permission is invalid, you should easily be able to correct this.
>
>     Even if RelaxPermissions isn't the problem, checking the debug log
>     should be helpful in figuring out what the problem is.  If you
>     can't figure out the problem, share with us the gdm-related debug
>     messages from your syslog.

I don't think it's permissions in /home directory that are the issue,
because the permissions in /home following a restore aren't likely to be
different depending upon whether /tmp was restored.  And if I restore /tmp,
everything appears to work fine.

I will replicate the problem, with debugging turned on, and report what I
see, but it won't be until later this evening.