Re: [gdm-list] Gdm awaiting for network

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

> Riccardo:
>
>>> The problem might be something relating to gethostname().  If you write
>>> a standalone program which makes similar calls as in the GDM code,
>>> does it also hang?
>>
>> Sorry, I'm just a Linux user, how could I write such a standalone
>> program?
>
> You can just write a c program to mimic the code in GDM, and refer
> to "man gethostbyname".

If you're trying to test gethostname(), just run the hostname program
with no arguments. If you're trying to test gethostbyname(), run
"getent hosts <nameyouwant>". I think that the name you want is your
hostname. If your hostname is not in /etc/hosts (usually as an alias
for the loopback), then that could cause a hang as it's looked up from
DNS.

--
Dan