Re: [gdm-list] Gdm awaiting for network

Riccardo:

Does the desktop file associated with the session you are using have an
Entry/X-Gdm-XserverArgs value in it?
$ ls
-la /etc/dm/Sessions/*.desktop /usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions/*.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop
ls: cannot access /etc/dm/Sessions/*.desktop: No such file or directory
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.7K Jul 17
21:14 /usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions/default.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9.5K Jul 17
21:14 /usr/share/xsessions/ssh.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1K Jun 30
23:39 /usr/share/xsessions/xfce4.desktop

$ grep -i
X-Gdm-XserverArgs /etc/dm/Sessions/*.desktop /usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions/*.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop
grep: /etc/dm/Sessions/*.desktop: No such file or directory

That's probably not the problem then.

Do you see the delay with all sessions, or only this particular session?

I've installed fluxbox just to have a different session to check, and
yes there is the same delay also with fluxbox.

Thanks for checking.

In the auth logic, it does call functions like gethostname(), so
if you don't have /etc/hosts set up properly, it might be waiting
trying to figure out your hostname over the network.

I think /etc/hosts is fine, it just lists the loopback address and the
hosts of my home lan.

The problem might be something relating to gethostname().  If you write
a standalone program which makes similar calls as in the GDM code,
does it also hang?

Could you try running pstack on the gdm-binary processs when it is
hanging.  This might help point out more specifically where the
code is hanging, whether in the auth code or in the X-Gdm-XserverArgs
code.

When gdm was "waiting" I run:

[...]

I've never used pstack, and I hope these data could make sense to you,
because it's greek to me :-)

You may need to recompile GDM with debug (-g) to get it to tell you
the function names.  The info you provided, as you notice, isn't so
useful.

Brian