Re: [gdm-list] update

On 10/25/07, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On 10/25/07, William Jon McCann <mccann jhu edu> wrote:
> >
> > Questions or comments?  Offers to help?
> >

> Sound very nice in general, but
>
> > We also now have a plugin based settings-daemon.  At the moment there
> > is only one plugin (xsettings) that sets xsettings from gconf.  But we
> > should probably port most of the pseudo-modules in
> > gnome-settings-daemon over to it too.  It could probably even replace
> > gnome-settings-daemon at some point.
>
> why rewrite gnome-settings-daemon ?

Mostly so that we have the flexibility (with plugins) to pick and
choose what we include.  I was using gnome-settings-daemon directly
for a few days and it wasn't cutting it - in part due to being
monolithic and also using gnome-program.  For one, we don't want bug
buddy to bring up a file-chooser.  Also we may not want the hotkeys
stuff.  Some people may not want to run the screensaver, etc.  We
certainly don't need typing break.

It is also just too much code that wasn't designed to run in the
greeter.  I think we are better off with a modular system.

Jon