Re: [gdm-list] GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale

Peter:

I haven't seen this sort of bug before.  If I were to guess, I'd think
that this might be caused if the GDM theme has an invalid, missing, or
corrupt image file.  Or possibly, they are trying to use a type of
image that GTK doesn't support.  For example, if the theme has a SVG
image, but librsvg isn't on the system and there isn't SVG support in
GTK.

It might help if we could get users who see the problem to share the
theme they are using so we can see if we can replicate the problem on
other machines.

Does the person who sees the problem have issues with all GDM themes,
or with a specific theme?  Which theme causes the problem?

If the problem is with a specific theme, the user could try commenting
out the theme image elements and see if a particular one is causing
the problem.

Brian

I'm seeing (not personally), but a bug report in Ubuntu which has
gdmgreeter crashing in the following way:

GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale: assertion `width > 0 || width == -1' failed GLib-GObject-WARNING: invalid (NULL) pointer instance GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale: assertion `width > 0 || width == -1' failed GLib-GObject-WARNING: invalid (NULL) pointer instance GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/154579

This is with Ubuntu Gutsy, which has gdm 2.20.0

This isn't something I see myself, and am not sure how much detail I can
drag the user through remote-debugging. Do the above messages ring any
bells to people?

Or can someone suggest what next to suggest the user try with their
debugging?