Re: [gdm-list] GDM Question

On Nov 30, 2007 11:08 AM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

> John:
>
> To enable XDMCP, you need to run gdmsetup and make sure that in the
> "Remote" tab that Style is set to "Themed" or "Same as Local".  Also
> on the "Local" tab you need to check "Include Hostname Chooser (XDMCP)
> menu item" under the "Menu Bar" section.
>
> Some GDM themes may not have an XDMCP button in the theme.  You may need
> to hit F10 to see the option.  If this is a problem, try a different
> theme.  The default ones that ship with GDM should work (such as circles
> or happygnome or happygnome-list).
>
> Some users have reported that the setting of "Deny TCP connections to
> Xserver" affects XDMCP.  So if you have problems, you might try this.
>
> Also note that GDM 2.20.0 and 2.20.1 had problems with XDMCP not
> actually working properly.  I'd say that 2.20.2 and later should
> work better.
>
> Brian
>

> > I have installed Fedora 8 on two of my machines and I have a question
> > concerning gdm and xdmcp.
> >
> > It seems that no matter what I change in the gdmsetup screens or in
> > the config file there is never an
> > option to run the xdmcp chooser.  I am behind a firewall on my local
> > network and have turned off the
> > built in firewalls, but still nothing.
> >
> > Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated
> >
> > TIA

I appreciate all of your responses, I changed the default them to
happy-gnome with browser
and when I logged out and the xserver restarted it came back up with
the fedora infinity theme.

I then hit the F10 key and it allowed me to choose the xdmcp option
but it came back to the
local machine.

I then logged in again and ran gdmsetup, as the root user, and the
fedora infinity them was
again selected.

While running gdmsetup from the cl I received lots of these in the background:

gdmsetup[27347]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_set_string: assertion
`key_file != NULL' failed
gdmsetup[27347]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_to_data: assertion
`key_file != NULL' failed
gdmsetup[27347]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_file_set_contents: assertion
`contents != NULL || length == 0' failed
gdmsetup[27347]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_free: assertion `key_file
!= NULL' failed

I have no clue what is wrong.

Any thoughts?

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at