Re: [gdm-list] GLib-CRITICAL error after upgrading to Gnome 2.20...

Bjørn:

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 08:02 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:35:49 +0100
Bjørn T Johansen <btj havleik no> wrote:

I get a lot of these error messages after I upgraded to Gnome 2.20... (when starting gdm)

gdm[9455]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_get_keys: assertion `key_file != NULL' failed

This probably means taht GDM is having trouble reading the GDM
configuration files.

Is there a way to fix this? It seems to be working ok but when starting GDM, it takes 10 sec. to print all the error lines
before gdm starts...
I suspect gdm config file is probably busted.

How do I fix the gdm config file? Just delete it or should I find a clean config file somewhere?

You should be able to run these commands to find out which files GDM is using for its defaults and custom configuration files:

Defaults file:

   gdmflexiserver --command="GET_CONFIG_FILE"

Custom file:

   gdmflexiserver --command="GET_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE"

Do both files exist?  The defaults file should contain reasonable
default values for most keys.  The custom file can be empty, or just a
template without any keys actually defined.

You might try moving aside your custom configuration file to a different name and create an empty custom file with the same name. If this fixes
the problem.  Then you might want to simply run gdmsetup and reconfigure
GDM as you want rather than trying to track down the specific problem in
how the custom configuration file got corrupted.

Brian