Re: [gdm-list] xsession-errors

Hi,

> - Bug 419085 - Running Xnest stomps your .xsession-errors file.  Perhaps
>    it makes sense to append the $DISPLAY value to the filename if the
>    value is not ":0" or something?
Or we could skip the ftruncate call when doing an Xnest session.

Or maybe lock the file and if it fails to lock then fall back to
~/.xsession-errors:$DISPLAY

> - Bug 459293 - Some ideas about dealing with file limits.
those limits shouldn't be a factor anymore since we aren't proxying the messages

> - Bug 493737 - Support a fifo instead of a file for .xsession-errors.
Hmm, right now I explicitly discard the file if it's not a regular
file.  It might be okay to change that I guess.

> I like the fact that this is simple.  Is there nothing that can be
> done to limit its size?
I don't believe so (well without resorting to proxying schemes)

> I guess this depends on how this is implemented.
>
> With GDM 2.20 and earlier, I notice that warnings from programs
> launched from the panel don't get logged in this file.  Some GTK+
> based programs spew lots of warnings.  If we rewrite this so that
> programs launched from the panel get logged here, then it might
> grow large - especially for users who leave a session running for
> a long time.
I guess it's up to the panel to decide what children get access to the file.

Even so though, it would take a considerably long time to fill up the
file.  Say the per-file limit was an absurdly low 1mb.  at 80 x 24
bytes per page, we're looking at ~500 pages of of solid warnings
before we hit 1mb.

> I'd say that a simple approach makes sense.  If users end up
> complaining about problems, we can always add more smarts to how
> this works later.
Yea, definitely.

--Ray