[gdm-list] [Fwd: gdm: still very unstable...]

Here's something I got about gdm

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

I'm using gdm since from ubuntu 4.10 (october 2004), and now using from Ubuntu 7.04 (still not updated to 7.10)

The fact is it's very easy with Menu/System/Administration/LoginWindow to get GDM working as fine as when pre-installed, lacking you to allow LogOut, leaving you in a locked black screen with a watch pointer, or geting xserver screen constantly flashing - this may happen when we try to make Ubuntu-Linux being able to login as Root (even not reccomendable...), and switching those options in the LoginWindow administration preferences

And for newbies there are no other easy solutions like reinstalling whole Ubuntu-Linux again from start (i did it around 2 or 3 years ago...), or installing an alternate login manager like WDM

I'm a relativelly long-time Linux user - even don't being a skilled user - and what scares me is the welcomelly increasing newbie users Ubuntu Linux distribution is bringing (specially from Edubuntu and UbuntuStudio, both with Gnome, and both with GDM)

I think there would be an easy solution somehow restarting the preinstalled GDM preferences (like when we recently installed Ubuntu-Linux), which can be a LoginWindow button, and also a console command like 'gdm-oem' or 'gdm-firstconfig' which backup our stupid configuration and restores the first GDM working configuration

thanks and regards,
Paulo

--- End Message ---