[gdm-list] .xsession-error not being created, why not?

Hi - We're using Redhat Enterprise 4, and we recently discovered that X errors are now being logged into files in /tmp rather than in .xsession-error in people's home directories. I turned on gdm debugging, but didn't see any relevant error messages. From my looking at the code, it seems as if gdm should only create the /tmp file if the session is running in failsafe mode, or it has no access to the home directory. The latter should create an error message, but it's not. Is there any way to further debug this problem (besides recompiling gdm with more debug statements)? Thanks. - Mark