Re: [gdm-list] telling gdm to manage my own servers

Paulo:

I'm not sure this is possible without hacking GDM to a degree.
You can't run gdmgreeter or gdmlogin by hand because these
programs talk to the daemon using stdin/stdout pipe so the
daemon really needs to start the greeter.

You might be able to setup your GDM configuration to run
some phony Xserver that will trick GDM into thinking it
started the Xserver.  Or you might be need to hack GDM to
skip the "start the Xserver" step.

The gdmdynamic command is designed to start Xservers in a
dynamic way, though I think it assumes that GDM does the
job of starting the Xserver...but you might want to add
an option to gdmdynamic to make it do what you want since
it is very similar.

Brian

I want to know if it is possible to do this:

- I manually open an X. (like: "X :0 &")
- Then, I want to make gdm show the login screen on that display.

How do I do that?

I've tried "DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter" and also the same
thing but with gdmlogin. It gave me a message telling me that the
greeter command's version isn't the same as the "server" version. I
got the same error message on both Debian Etch and Debian Testing (and
I haven't manually installed gdm!)

How can I do that? How should I setup gdm.conf?

The only solution I had found was to enable xdmcpserver and use "X
-query localhost" when I started X. But this is really not the ideal
solution (since I'm using a local machine...)

Thanks!
Paulo.