[gdm-list] telling gdm to manage my own servers

Hi!

I want to know if it is possible to do this:

- I manually open an X. (like: "X :0 &")
- Then, I want to make gdm show the login screen on that display.

How do I do that?

I've tried "DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter" and also the same
thing but with gdmlogin. It gave me a message telling me that the
greeter command's version isn't the same as the "server" version. I
got the same error message on both Debian Etch and Debian Testing (and
I haven't manually installed gdm!)

How can I do that? How should I setup gdm.conf?

The only solution I had found was to enable xdmcpserver and use "X
-query localhost" when I started X. But this is really not the ideal
solution (since I'm using a local machine...)

Thanks!
Paulo.