Re: [gdm-list] Adding sessions to gdm in FreeBSD

Bill:

Glad I was able to help. Yes, I'd imagine a kernel panic on logout isn't related to GDM...but if you find that it is a GDM problem,
then let me know and I'll be happy to help.

I haven't heard of any other people having the sort of troubles
you describe with the kernel panic, just so you know.

Brian

Note section 5.1 of the GDM manual:

  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs/2.16/configuration.html

I think the correct location of the kde.desktop file is /usr/share/xsessions or one of the other directories in your
SessionDesktopDir GDM configuration variable.  By default, this is

#SessionDesktopDir=/etc/X11/sessions/:/etc/X11/dm/Sessions/:/usr/share/gdm/Built
InSessions/:/usr/share/xsessions/

So, I don't think the directory /usr/local/etc/gdm/Sessions is the right
directory unless your distro puts this directory in the above
SessionDesktopDir configuration setting.

I'd try moving it to one of the above directories. I think /usr/share/xsessions is the most standard location to put it.

Thanks for those pointers, it looks like it is
/usr/local/share/gnome/xsessions
this seems to work, but on logging out I get a kernel panic and spontaneous reboot, so I am going to chase it up with freebsd-gnome as it seems to be bsd specific...
cheers