Re: [gdm-list] multiple pam prompts at the same time?

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 10:02 +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Brian Cameron wrote:
> > Many people ask this question.  I'm not sure why people think that
> > asking for both username and password in the same GUI makes such a
> > significant usability improvement, but many people seem to think
> > so.
>
> The users are at fault as usual ;-)
> http://www.betterdesktop.org/welcome/reports/report-login.html

Even Sun's old GNOME study found that about a third of their users
expected this, back in 2001:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/logging_in.html

However, I think it's more of an expectation from Windows usage, or more
recently website usage, than an actual usability hindrance.  The Sun
study specifically notes that none of the users actually had any
problems logging in when confronted with gdm.

(Although of course, giving users what they expect is certainly one
aspect of usability too, to be juggled along with all the others.)

Cheeri,
Calum.