Re: [gdm-list] FailsafeXServer - gdm keeps restarting X

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 03:01:15PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Bryce:
>
> The Xserver interface expects that a USR1 signal will be sent to the
> parent process to let it know that the Xserver is up and running
> and ready to be used.  You should send a "kill -USR1 pid" to the
> slave daemon.  Or perhaps this signal is being sent to your script
> and you could just propagate it, perhaps your script is consuming
> it.  You may need a signal handler to do this.  Though I'm not sure
> how you handle signal handlers in shell scripts.  You could probably
> do it in Perl or something, though.
>
> For example:
>
>    http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2000-March/012897.html
>
> Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks, this feels like a step in the right direction, but even when
issuing the kill -USR1 $PPID it is still trying to restart the server.
Below is the failsafeXServer script I'm using; are you able to see the
same issue I do when running this?

Bryce

## failsafeXServer=failsafeExample
#!/bin/bash

client="/usr/bin/zenity"
clientargs="--warning --text HelloWorld "
server=/usr/bin/X
serverargs="$*"
if [ -z $serverargs ]; then
    serverargs=":0"
fi
serverargs="${serverargs} -br -once -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe"

xinit $client $clientargs -- $server $serverargs &

sleep 5

kill -USR1 $PPID