Re: [gdm-list] Session identification and postlogin

Francesco Fumanti wrote:
Hello,

pidfile="/tmp/onboard-at-gdmlogin-display-${DISPLAY}.pid"

gives
/tmp/onboard-at-gdmlogin-display-127.0.0.1:1178.0.pid
during gdmlogin

but gives
/tmp/onboard-at-gdmlogin-display-127.0.0.1:1178.pid
during PostLogin

I suppose :1178 is the display and .0 is the screen. (a display can be composed from multiple screens; for example a user with 2 monitors; correct?)

So I am thinking of stripping the .0 from $pidfile during gdmlogin. Would this not make it screen independent?

If you think users would want to run an instance per screen, then
keeping the screen info might be useful.  If the user would run
one instance of the AT program for all screens, then stripping the
info would be fine.

Now I have to find a way to cut the screen indication from the value of $DISPLAY. sed?

sed or awk would work.  You could write a perl script.

Many thanks in advance for any confirmation or help.

Brian