[gdm-list] gdm & pam/ldap

I've set up PAM/LDAP authentication and everything is roses except
GDM. When authenticating nonlocal users, GDM takes an interminable
amount of time, generating numerous requests to the LDAP directory.
After a minute or so, the nonlocal user gets their session.

SSH, sudo and other services which rely on LDAP do not exhibit this
slow down. I'd like to know if anybody else is having this problem,
and it'd be great if someone could suggest a line of research that
would lead me to a solution.

--
_jsn