Re: [gdm-list] XDMCP proxy server with Xdmc

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 13:42 +0800, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Peter:
>
> The Xdmx feature in GDM is, as noted, experimental.  The fact that your
> email hasn't generated any responses may be because you may be the first
> to really try and use it.
>
> If you find ways to improve the GDM code when working with Xdmx, please
> let us know and I'll be happy to help you work through fixing any bugs
> on the GDM side of things.  If you develop any patches to make the GDM
> Xdmx code more robust, please share them and we can get fixes integrated
> in the latest GDM releases.
>
> I wish you the best of luck!
>
> Brian

Brian,

Thanks for replying. I've been in touch with Mark regarding the VNC
remote sessions, and am for now playing with Xdmx as a proxy, with X11
remote clients (and Xvnc now I've got a workaround patch for the crash.)

Unfortunately, as Xdmx uses XLib for its "screens", as soon as you
terminate the network connection to the thin client machine, Xdmx will
quit with an XIOError. (XLib kindly calls exit(1) for us). This will
need some work to XLib to over-come, which Mark tells me has been looked
at before.

For now, the Xdmx proxy seems to work, and is hopefully increasing
speed. (I've yet to try it from a less featured X11 server such as I had
speed issues with before).

If I come up with anything useful, I'll post it back here.

Kind regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,