Re: [gdm-list] Fwd: SOS: GDM Greeter Application Crashing, Unresolvable!

Dr. Sichendra:

Rather than discussing this in the gdm-list gnome org mail list, I'd
recommend you file a bug in bugzilla.gnome.org in the "gdm" category
and attache the following to the bug report:

1. Your GDM configuration files
2. Turn on Enable=true in the [debug] section of your GDM configuration
   file, and run gdm-restart.  Then attach the "gdm" related output from
   your system log (/var/adm/messages or /var/log/messages).

Looking at the links you provided below, it looks like the following
is what you are seeing when you do #2 above:

gdm_config_parse: Logdir /var/lib/log/gdm does not exist or isn't a directory. Using ServAuthDir /var/lib/gdm. Mar 28 09:18:01 zenwalk gdm[1630]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0 Mar 28 09:18:05 zenwalk gdm[1700]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0 Mar 28 09:18:09 zenwalk gdm[1706]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0 Mar 28 09:18:41 zenwalk gdm[1202]: Failed to start X server
several times in a short time period; disabling display :0 Mar 28 09:19:03

Note, that this doesn't look (at first glance) to be a GDM problem,
but a problem with starting the Xserver.   Does the Xserver start
okay if you try to start it without using GDM?  In other words, if
you run from console login the same command that GDM uses to start
the Xserver, does the Xserver start and show the gray background
with the "X" cursor, or does it fail to start?

Brian

Many greetings! I am facing a very peculiar problem as specified in these links: http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,7489.msg44897.html#msg44897 <http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,7489.msg44897.html#msg44897> and http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,7300.0.html

Such a cheap multiseat setup is important for the eParliament to make the voice of the downtrodden in the developing world.

I have to write to you directly because I could not find a way out to get rid of the "GDM greeter application Crashing" loop, no matter what I do. Besides what I mentioned in the above links, I have last night upgraded to GDM-2.18.1 and xorg-7.2, but with the same loop. I hope that you, as the maintainer of GDM, could advise me to overcome the stuff. Thanks in advance.

May you, your family and your team be successful in your missions, prosperous, healthy, happy, free from suffering and in peace always!

Webocratically yours,
Dr. Sichendra Bista, Chief Architect and Founding Secretary-General
eParliament.org: Webocracy is Everyone (eparlamentet.nu <http://eparlamentet.nu>)
Founder and President, Global Initiatives International Secretariat
Gruppsekreterare, Amnestygrupp99, Sweden
  Peace  |  Justice  |  Human Rights  |  Democracy  |  Development

Address in exile:
Tycho Brahes gata 9
415 17 Göteborg
Sweden
Cell: +46-(0)768-90 35 24
Phone: +46-(0)31-433297
email: drbista eparliament org <mailto:drbista eparliament org>
http://giis.netfirms.com/anupa.htm
http://eparliament.org
http://www.dec.uwi.edu/smarshall/itira/2003/abstracts.htm#edemocracy <http://www.dec.uwi.edu/smarshall/itira/2003/abstracts.htm#edemocracy> (3rd paper in the category)
http://www.pledgebank.com/hospice