Re: [gdm-list] help: Xvnc + gdm

Travis:

I think you may need to run gdm with the --nodaemon option in a
debugger and see if you can track down where it is hanging.  Can
you do this?

Brian

On 5/15/06, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:
It sounds like GDM may be having trouble starting the Xserver.  Can
you start up Xvnc by hand and try running the command to start X
and see if you can get X to startup on the display directly?  Without
using GDM to manage the display, in other words?

GDM isn't managing the display.  In all my trials, I was running Xvnc
or vncserver manually.

IIUC, they should be connecting to it via XDMCP over the loopback
interface.  When they try, they hang.  If I don't tell it to XDMCP
query localhost, it sits there with a black screen and a X cursor.

I originally reported that I saw a gdmlogin child being started, but
now I believe this was a misinterpretation.

I did an strace on Xvnc, and it appeared to be waiting in a select()
loop.  Based on the tcpdump output, it appears it sent the last XDMCP
message, so maybe it's waiting for a response from gdm but it never
comes?

I've replicated the problem on another computer, Fedora Core 5 instead of FC3.

I couldn't coax any debugging output from either program.