[gdm-list] Smartcard support in GDM?

G'day,

[Apologies if this has been asked before, but the gdm-list
 archives appear to be empty]

I need to add smartcard support to GDM -- has there been any discussion or plans for achieving this? I could not see any smartcard support in the source code.

I'm looking specifically at PAM interaction with GDM.

I've got some ideas, but I haven't yet decided on the appropriate course of action. It really depends on what the PAM module is trying to achieve, and whether GDM is merely reporting back that a token has been inserted (which means only using PC/SC calls to check for token status events), or whether GDM must inspect the token and fetch a username (which means GDM must make PKCS#11 calls, and how a username is obtained from a token, and what happens if there's more than one user represented on a token).

So if there's been any discussion in this area, I'd really like to hear about it.

-- Geoff