Re: [gdm-list] gdm and kernel-name

Dean:

I suspect this problem is related to the fact that some of the
previously undocumented string replacement sequences changed in a
recent release.   Do you have timed login turned on, the problem
you describe sounds like that problem.

Specifically the timed label is now defined to be:

          _("User %u will login in %t" seconds);

when it used to be defined as User %u with login in %d seconds.
Are there other character sequences used in the XML file?  If so,
they may be the problem.  Refer to how these sequences are supposed
to be used in the 2.15 documentation at

  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs.html

Refer to the "Themed Greeter" section under "Detailed Description of
Theme XML format" subsection, "Text Nodes" sub-subsection.  :)

If you look in your theme XML file, is the timed label defined there
using the old format?  If so, you may need to update it to the new
format (or just remove the translations if you don't need them).

You should file a bug with your distro, if this is your problem,
so they fix the translations in the XML file in their next release.

Brian

When GDM starts using the tobacco sky theme... it shows "Linux" in the
middle of the screen... It appears as if that is put in the pam-error
box.  "Linux" is the kernel-name from `uname -s` or just `uname`.

How do I get rid of this word "Linux"?

As soon as I type in a username the "Linux" disappears.  If I type in a
wrong username, the pam-error appears in the same spot where "Linux"
was.