Re: [gdm-list] Dbus-launch and gdm

Matthew:

I haven't tested launching dbus myself, but the patch you are
pointing towards does change the file that is normally installed
to /etc/gdm/Xsession.

Note that the patch is a patch against the source code so to
use that patch you would need to patch the source code, rebuild
and reinstall.

You can also modify the /etc/gdm/Xsession installed script if
you want, but the patch will require some tweaking if you want
it to apply to the installed file.  The name of the file is
different in the source tree (Xsession.in instead of Xsession)
and the line numbers are probably different.  It's probably
easier to apply the patch by hand, really.

You should also check your GDM *.desktop files, which are normally
installed to /etc/sessions or /usr/share/xservers.  These files
correspond to the Sessions that are available when you choose a
session in GDM.

When you pick a session in GDM, it actually launches the program
defined in the *.desktop file with the "Exec" or "TryExec" key.
This by default is normally the /etc/gdm/Xsession script, but some
distros might define some other script to be launched.
Obviously if your distro is launching some other script, then
you will want to similarly patch the script that you are actually
using.

Whatever script is launched by your session file should start
gnome-session if it is launching GNOME.  Patching it in a similar
way as described by the website you point to should make things work.

Hope this clears things up.  Let us know if you get dbus working!

Brian

I'm trying to run dbus in such a way as my gnome session (which is
started by gdm) is aware of it, so I can use dbus-aware programs like
muine-shell.

The dbus-launch man page describes how to do this:

<snip>
       Here is an example of how to use dbus-launch with an
       sh-compatible shell
       to start the per-session bus daemon:

         ## test for an existing bus daemon, just to be safe
         if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
             ## if not found, launch a new one
             eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
             echo "D-BUS per-session daemon address is:
             $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"         fi

       You might run something like that in your login scripts.

       Another way to use dbus-launch is to run your main session
       program, like
       so:

       dbus-launch gnome-session

       The above would likely be appropriate for ~/.xsession or
       ~/.Xclients.
</snip>

Also see here for a discussion of using it with gdm: http://www.mail-archive.com/blfs-support linuxfromscratch org/msg02997.html

PROBLEM: the patch in the above instructions don't seem to bear much
relation to the relevant gdm file included with Debian, which I guess is
/etc/gdm/Xsession.  Does anyone know how I could change this to achieve
dbus-launch for every session I run?

Hope someone can help.

Best wishes,
Matt