Re: Login Warnings (repost)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:07:15PM -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Tom:
>
> >Is there any control the sys admin has over the warning messages for
> >password issues?  I did get a password expiration warning and a delay to
> >read the message when attempting login, but now the message flashes away
> >as the login continues.
>
> Could you describe the behavior a bit more clearly.  Normally gdm2 displays
> the warning message in the text region of the login screen.  Is it throwing
> up a pop-up for a specific message?  If so, what's the message?  If the
> login program doesn't actually start the user's session, there's usually
> no reason to display the message in a pop-up.  the pam-warning or pam-error
> fields could also be used.
>
> The sysadmin can't control the delay a popup will display currently.  It
> seems a reasonable feature if you want to make a patch.

Normally what gdm displays is whatever pam gives it.  PAM has been created by
evil hobbits who eat babies and who hate GUIs, thus the whole thing is
designed more more a "login" type program that just prints out things line by
line.  GDM has a "hack" which appends messages from PAM together if several
of them come without any prompt (so that they don't flash).  Further if there
were messages that came after all prompts, then gdm has another hack that
puts up a popup dialog to let you read the messages.  What I assume is
happening is that this latter hack is not working ...  Did you try both the
standard and the graphical greeter?

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.