Re: Inheriting shell environment

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:13:30PM +0100, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:
> Thanks. At the moment I don't have access to the machine on which I had
> the problem, but I just installed gdm 2.6.0.6-1 on another machine, and
> there is no problem here at all. This version does read ~/.xsession from
> where I am sourcing the file with my environment variables. On the other
> machine, I think I had created an ~/.Xsession file, so maybe it was all
> just because of this capitalization typo? Otoh, xdm seems to recognize
> ~/.Xsession. Ahh, X confusion, don't we love it? ;-)

Brian was obviously reffering to the default gdm Xsession file.  On most
distros, they install their own private Xsession file depending on what are
the `in vogue' semantics at that particular.  Redhat for example has a fetish
with xdm and thinks that there are still people out there using xdm (even
though xdm is insecure, evil, and very icky), so they have an Xsession that
will run .xsession when 'default' is selected, but I could be wrong.

Also they apparently have a bug where they don't run anything as login and
don't source in /etc/profile it seems.  Though they could have patched gdm to
do something evil for this.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Zivot je kratkej a posranej, jako zebricek do kurniku.