Re: Inheriting shell environment

Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM> wrote:

> I assume that you are asking how to set your default environment
> variables when logging into gdm2.  Note that the script that starts
> your session is the /usr/share/gdm/Xsession script.  Note that it
> sources the following files:

> /etc/profile
> $HOME/.profile
> /etc/xprofile
> $HOME/.xprofile

> So, if you set environment variables in any of the above files,
> they will be set properly when you log in.

Thanks. At the moment I don't have access to the machine on which I had
the problem, but I just installed gdm 2.6.0.6-1 on another machine, and
there is no problem here at all. This version does read ~/.xsession from
where I am sourcing the file with my environment variables. On the other
machine, I think I had created an ~/.Xsession file, so maybe it was all
just because of this capitalization typo? Otoh, xdm seems to recognize
~/.Xsession. Ahh, X confusion, don't we love it? ;-)

I'll report back to you when I get access to the other machine if there
are still problems.

Thanks,

Morten