Re: [gdm-list] Re: build selected modules without gnome deps

Jani:

Thanks for the patch to fix the gui/Makefile.am.  This means that now
GDM no longer requires libgnome.  I still didn't fix the
gnome_help_display_uri issue in gdmsetup which I think is the last
remaining thing in GDM that requires libgnomeui.

I think the gnome-open solution is a reasonable fix.  It might be
good to instead of hardcoding "gnome-open" to make this a configuration
setting in gdm.conf so that people who want to use some other mechanism
for opening the URI can just modify the gdm.conf file.

Brian

Thanks Brian for commiting the patch!
+ Many GDM GUI programs suck in gnome_program_locate_file() which is
  used in ve_find_file() function in vicious-extensions/ve-gnome.c.
  No GDM GUi program calls ve_find_file() directly but a number of
  vicious-extensions functions that are used (glade_helper_load for
  example) do call this function.  I'm not sure what this should be
  using instead of gnome_program_locate_file().  Advice or help?

vicious seems to have both gnome and non-gnome variants. I have built
things against the non-gnome ones and it looks ok, the functions you
mention have different implementations there but they hopefully work.
Attached the patch against gui/Makefile.am. If it's ok all references to
vicious-gnome can be purged from configure.ac and
vicious-extensions/Makefile.am

+ The gnome_help_display_uri issue is still there in gdmsetup.c.  I'm
  not sure what to do about this one.

One solution would be execve ('gnome-open ghelp:gdm'), maybe first
checking if the program  is installed (On debian it is part of the
libgnome2-0 package) I hope this is present in gnome on all distros. If
gnome-open or yelp are not present it would be nice the help button to
be greyed out too :)
This way it would build without gnome deps but it could take advantage
of gnome programs if available.

Jani