Re: Getting Rid Of UTF-8

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 03:05:30PM +0200, Grønn Demon wrote:
> >Why do you have that? gdm sets your $LANG for you.
>
> Because that's the recommended way to set your locale on Gentoo, AFAIK.
>
> >Changing it for a
> >single application (your terminal) is bound to mess stuff up. Just
> >choose a non-UTF-8 locale in the locale chooser in gdm, and you're set!
>
> Someone at Gentoo forums now figured out that one has to choose "system
> default" instead of "German" to get ISO-8859-15.
> Now XMMS and Gnome terminal work as they are supposed to, but
> Thunderbird displays your name incorrectly in the "To:" field.
> Instead of "Søren Hansen", it only says "? Hansen"... :-/
> My nick ("Grønn Demon") however is displayed correctly in the "From:"
> field above.

You have just witnessed the reason why moving everything to utf-8 is a good
idea.  If you have a piece of text and have no clue what encoding it is in,
you aren't able to display it correctly.  If there is only one encoding
(utf-8) the problem goes away.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a