Re: Getting Rid Of UTF-8

Hi,

Why do you have that? gdm sets your $LANG for you.

Because that's the recommended way to set your locale on Gentoo, AFAIK.

Changing it for a
single application (your terminal) is bound to mess stuff up. Just
choose a non-UTF-8 locale in the locale chooser in gdm, and you're set!

Someone at Gentoo forums now figured out that one has to choose "system default" instead of "German" to get ISO-8859-15. Now XMMS and Gnome terminal work as they are supposed to, but Thunderbird displays your name incorrectly in the "To:" field.
Instead of "S�Hansen", it only says "? Hansen"... :-/
My nick ("Gr�emon") however is displayed correctly in the "From:" field above.

$LANG has to be set to de_DE for GDM. You can do it system wide somehow
(don't know too much about gentoo),

According to some Gentoo documentation, this is not recommended because root always should have a standard locale (POSIX or so).
Or maybe I could set it system-wide and set it seperately for root...

or you can add it at the top of
your /etc/init.d/gdm (or whatever it's called in gentoo).

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Regards,

Marvin