Getting Rid Of UTF-8

Hi,

I use Gentoo Linux and would like to get rid of UTF-8 in Gnome.
Although I have 'export LANG="de_DE euro"' in my ~/.bashrc, Gnome would still use UTF-8, which is terribly annoying since some fonts are screwed up and I have to set the terminal to ISO-8859-15 manually each time I start it.

But these problems only occur when I use gdm; with startx everything works like a charm. It seems like gdm simply ignores my settings: I hadn't properly configured my ATI drivers, which caused startx to crash, but gdm could still start Gnome. Also I had configured blue cursors in ~/.Xdefaults, which only appeared for a few seconds with gdm - with startx they stay there.

Furthermore, I'd like to set the gdm login screen's language to German.
How would I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Marvin Massih