Re: Passwordless login

On søn, 2004-04-18 at 23:54 -0700, George wrote:
> > Any brilliant ideas? I'm thinking that the existence of a semaphore file
> > in $HOME/.gnome2/ will make gdm use gdm-autologin, but we don't know the
> > username and hence the $HOME until after we've created the pam_handle,
> > do we?
> The thing is that PAM now asks for the username and we don't really know it
> until PAM does it's thing.  Any solution would really have to be in PAM
> itself (And that's where such policy should go anyway).  It would be useful
> to create a pam module that would allow passwordless login for select local
> users.  It also shouldn't be too hard I don't think.

Right, I figured that out a bit later, too. I've created a file
called /etc/gdmnopassusers and added a line to my /etc/pam.d/gdm:
auth    sufficient      pam_listfile.so file=/etc/gdmnopassusers
sense=allow item=user

And presto! However, this way, I still can't tell if it's a local login
or a remote one, so a if one could use /etc/pam.d/gdm-xdmcp for remote
logins, it'd be really nice. Could that be implemented in the next
release?