Re: GDM and gnomerc

[ccing the gdm list]

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:16:09PM +0100, Joel Becker wrote:
> George,
> 	Since Google and bugzilla have nothing to say, I'm going to ask
> you.  A while back, GDM stopped passing environment variables into the
> Gnome session.  Both /etc/profile and $HOME/.profile were not getting
> run.  The solution was to put '. /etc/profile; . $HOME/.profile' in
> .gnomerc.  I did that, and I was happy.  Now, that doesn't seem to be
> working either.  Instead, I'm using 2.4.4.7 of GDM (Debian unstable) and
> no environment variables make it to my desktop.
> 	What is the 2.4.4.7 method?

Look at the Xsession script being used (see BaseXsession script config
variable).  It is the responsibility of the Xsession script to source
/etc/profile and $HOME/.profile, it is possible (likely) that debian is not
doing this correctly.  KDM now works in the same way btw.  The standard
Xsession script as shipped with gdm should be correct, but most distributions
for whatever reasons choose to use home baked scripts.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.