Re: GDM Themes

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:30:49PM -0400, David wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to have gdm randomly choose a theme on X
> startup?  Thanks for any help you can give.

I suppose you mean the graphical greeter theme.

Write a script that replaces the greeter and goes something like this

----8<----
#!/bin/sh

cd /usr/share/gdm/themes
rm -fR Random/

RANDOMTHEME=`... some way to pick random theme here ...`

cp -a $RANDOMTHEME Random/

exec /usr/bin/gdmgreeter
----8<----

Now set your daemon/Greeter=/usr/bin/the-above-script and set
greeter/GraphicalTheme=Random in your gdm.conf

Of course you have to fit the missing bits in the above, but it should
get the idea across as what needs to be done.

In any case, maybe someone should collect scripts like this (ones that
are actually working I mean) and we could have them on the gdm site
or some such.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.