Re: Question and project

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:10:14AM +0900, Guillaume Proux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, my greetings to everybody involved in the GDM project... Just one
> word: nice work!

Thanks!

> The question:
> I have a Mandrake 9.0. I still downloaded and recompiled the latest
> tarball of gdm (2.4.1.1) but after doing make install, after login i
> found out that I did not have access anymore to the sound device !!!
> The only explanation I could find is that gdm is running under the
> "root" username in Mandrake but gdm tarball install run it under the
> "gdm" user. Is this correct?

I think that you didn't setup pam correctly.  I would take a look at the
mandrake package and how it sets stuff up in the rpm and would try to copy as
much as possible.  Gdm unfortunately is not a package that is an easy drop in
replacement because it does things that each distribution does a bit
differently.  So it's best to set it up very close to how the package that
comes with the distribution is set up.

> The project:
> I really like the graphical greeting, but now, I would like to add more
> stuff to clutter a bit that screen! My idea is to enable the admin to
> load plug-ins modules that would paint different part of the graphics screen
> Some examples:
> 1/ A Box which shows the number of mail waiting in the mailbox of users
> selected in the plugins config file
> 2/ A flashing display to say "UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS CAN LEAD YOU TO
> PROSECUTION"
> 3/ Some japanese style animation of cute animals talking to the logged
> in user
> 4/ A Japanese kanji card tutor (everytime you login you have first to
> answer the Japanese language question)
>
> Is there already something done in that domain? (no need to duplicate
> effort!)

Nothing being done in this domain, although plugin modules can kind of open
up a can of worms in terms of security, so be careful if you decide to work
on this.  Feel free to send patches :)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun