Question and project

Hi,

First, my greetings to everybody involved in the GDM project... Just one word: nice work!

The question:
I have a Mandrake 9.0. I still downloaded and recompiled the latest tarball of gdm (2.4.1.1) but after doing make install, after login i found out that I did not have access anymore to the sound device !!! The only explanation I could find is that gdm is running under the "root" username in Mandrake but gdm tarball install run it under the "gdm" user. Is this correct?

The project:
I really like the graphical greeting, but now, I would like to add more
stuff to clutter a bit that screen! My idea is to enable the admin to load plug-ins modules that would paint different part of the graphics screen
Some examples:
1/ A Box which shows the number of mail waiting in the mailbox of users selected in the plugins config file 2/ A flashing display to say "UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS CAN LEAD YOU TO PROSECUTION" 3/ Some japanese style animation of cute animals talking to the logged in user 4/ A Japanese kanji card tutor (everytime you login you have first to answer the Japanese language question)

Is there already something done in that domain? (no need to duplicate effort!)

cheers,

Guillaume