Re: Failed to start the display server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 12:19:57AM +0100, Marc Duponcheel wrote:
> > Hmmm, can you try running gdmgreeter instead of gdmlogin?
>
>  I tried it (forgot to mention, sorry) and it looped and bailed out as well.
> I just captured a debug enable=true syslog and it looks similar.
>  It seems like the SIGUSR2 handling between processess is somewhat broken.

That is quite possible.  The slave process does some fairly nasty things that
just happen to work.  The problem being that dealing with X/Unix nicely is
fairly nasty to begin with :)

>  I admit that I should not run all that latest stuff.

Perhaps try downgrading glibc and/or the kernel and see if that changes
anything.  Perhaps if it is broken SIGUSR2 usage, some new code there might
have triggered such problems (at it would be nice to work with newest
versions of those of course:)

> By the way I am not complaining, (I am a big boy ;-)), all
> I want to to is rapport and help.

No problem.  Reporting problems is a good thing.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,