Failed to start the display server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0

 Hello gdm list,

 To the gdm programmers. Thanks and congratulations
for this great gnome contribution.

I just subscribed to this list so maybe I ask for the obvious.

 Here is:

For many years I update my systems with latest software
(including latest gnome sources) and recently, for some
obscure reason, I can no longer start gdm. It loops
attempting and shows a dialog to disable attempts to
run the X server. Since I update things daily, it is
hard to tell exactly whan things broke, I guess
last week or two.

I can run startx or X manually.

 So maybe the issue is exactly that I run software
which is too recent (again the latest one in gnome/source,
mostly named 2.1.x)?

 I can email the gdm.conf and the syslogs with debugging
on. Such debugs seem to tell me that the greeter died
(and therefore, no doubt, also the X server).

 I once tried to run X and then the greeter manually.
It kind of worked but I could not input my username.

 Thanks for your valuable time

--
 Marc Duponcheel
    marc offline be [home] +32 (0)3  449.44.94