GDM won't start anymore

I've been using gdm 2.2.0 for quite a while with no problems, then, quite suddenly, it decided not to start up any longer.  I can use my GNOME desktop and apps just fine, but I've got to start with kdm or xdm.  If I try gdm--even by booting into console mode and running it manually--the screen goes blank, but the background pattern doesn't change, and the greeter never appears.  Nothing has changed on my system since gdm was last working (other than my attempts to fix it).  I've had little luck tracking down info that could help me track this down.  Are there any configuration files I should check?  Should I rebuild gdm with some option enabled so it can tell me why it failed?

My system started out as Slackware 7.1.1, but has had a few tweaks since then.  Kernel is 2.4.17; if anything else seems relevent let me know and I'll see what I've got.

Thanks,
Mike

		Michael A. Gauland
		Sr. Research Engineer - Software