Re: XDMCP?

David> I'm not using gdm right now, but I think the difference is that
David> it does support xdmcp, but does not provide an indirect chooser
David> service --- you should be able to run a chooser program on your
David> sum machine which looks around for xdmcp managers.  The
David> indirect chooser service is for fairly dumb x terminals that
David> rely on a third machine to collect a list of possible xdmcp
David> managers.  I think the below means that gdm can control an x
David> terminal, but cannot provide the chooser service directly.

Exactly.

David> I havent seen much documentation, but what you may need to do
David> on the sun machine is run a program called 'chooser' that might
David> look for xdmcp managers.  If the sun machine doesn't provide a
David> choice list, it is managing the display istelf, and won't
David> listen for your linux box's xdmcp.

dtlogin in Solaris provides a chooser in the menu.

--
Martin K. Petersen	Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/		XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME, SunSITE Denmark