RE: XDMCP?

I'm not using gdm right now, but I think the difference is that it does
support xdmcp, but does not provide an indirect chooser service --- you
should be able to run a chooser program on your sum machine which looks
around for xdmcp managers.  The indirect chooser service is for fairly
dumb x terminals that rely on a third machine to collect a list of
possible xdmcp managers.  I think the below means that gdm can control an
x terminal, but cannot provide the chooser service directly.

I havent seen much documentation, but what you may need to do on the sun
machine is run a program called 'chooser'  that might look for xdmcp
managers.  If the sun machine doesn't provide a choice list, it is
managing the display istelf, and won't listen for your linux box's xdmcp.