Re: a FAQ? How dos one make gdm do XDMCP?

David> I tried XDMCP=1 after I found that documentation, but the
David> machine didn't show up on the chooser windows, I added the
David> /etc/hosts.allow line, and it still didn't work...  Isn't 'TCP
David> Wrappers' tcpd?  meaning that I need to set it up in
David> /etc/inetd.conf?  Or does gdm listen itself as a daemon?

GDM is a standalone daemon which uses the tcp wrappers library for
access control.

Try doing an X -query <gdmhost> from another machine.

David> Now in the following, I already have xdm up, so I why it was
David> murdered is not mysterious.  I was able to make it run and work
David> locally, but not for remote xdmcp brodcast lists, while xdm did
David> work... Does gdm take the same command line options? (cf: man
David> xdm)

GDM isn't xdm.  It was written from scratch.

GDM only takes -nodaemon as command line option.  All other options
are specified in the configuration file.

--
Martin K. Petersen	Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/		XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME, SunSITE Denmark