Re: [gDesklets] Blueprint: Is there a newer version available on the internet?

Hi there,

> I propose source code only.  As the maintainer of a distro package, it's up
> to me to notify the users if there's a security patch or bugfix in a newer
> version.  I think it'd be too tough to try to keep up with all the distros
> out there.

Right now this is another problem ;/.
Ubuntu e.g. is still stuck at 0.36.1 and causing lots of bug reports on
errors that have already been fixed and released a while ago.
Maybe a PPA might help here (if someone in here would be willing to
maintain it).

>> 3. what about stable/development versions ?
>
> Good question.  Perhaps the file specifies the latest stable and latest
> development version.

Might be interessting if we start to release a bit more frequently ;).

So I am not sure about it all. But I guess it might be a good idea to
think about these options when designing the XML file.

> I agree.  Don't know much about XML though...is a DTD file necessary?

Nah, don't think so. Just a plain straight-forward structered XML file
will do (IMHO).
But maybe there is already some kind of standard way of doing it out
there ?! Could be nice and easy for a new desklet which is looking for
updates ?!

>> PS: we still need lauri to update the homepage to inform the world that
>> 0.36.2 is out there ;).
>
> Unfortunately, not all distro package maintainers hang out on this list :)

Yeah... unfortunatley we don't seem to have anyone in here with the
needed rights to update the official website :/.
I still don't even have an account for it ;).

Greetings, Bjoern