[gDesklets] Path to configuration as startup option

See the end of this email for a copy of the blueprint.

I'm having trouble nailing down the requirements here:

gDesklets was written to be as secure as possible from other users or
malicious desklets.  The main issue I'm having is that it ensures the
permissions on your ~/.gdesklets directory (and registry, log, etc.) is
0700.  Any global configuration would (by definition) not be set this way
and could be susceptible to malicious users.  How can we justify global
configuration?

What user would this run as?  For a livecd distro, couldn't one set up the
desklets he or she wants to be the default as the default user before
distributing it?

What advantage does this blueprint have over `gdesklets open`?  What if you
could open multiple desklets with this command?

I can see benefits to stifling the "first run" message.

Thoughts?  Thanks,
Joe

--
From
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/gdesklets/+spec/path-to-configuration-as-option

Taken from the ML (author: sal, date: 31-May-2008):
-------
I'm trying to install gdesklets on a live distro but I can't find any
configuration files apart from ~/.gdesklets which allow me to choice which
desklets to load and hide the first box message.
Is this possible to define a gdesklets configuration in /etc without hacking on
gdesklets source?
-------
Providing an alternative path to the configuration files as an startup
option should solve this problem and be a good idea anyway ?!

Whiteboard:
-A global (default?) display list in /etc should be lower in precedence than
any user's home dir
-Where does the log file go? Configuration options? Certainly /etc/gdesklets
shouldn't be world-writable...