Re: [gDesklets] Using hashlib instead of md5

On 08/28/2009 05:52 PM, Bjoern Koch wrote:
> Anyway, just started to close some bugs and came across this one here:
>
> Bug #413798:
> md5 module deprecation warning in log file
>
> So, this bug can easily be closed by using hashlib instead on md5 in
> plugin/Interface.py.
> But switching to hashlib would mean to move on to python 2.5+, too, as
> the hashlib has been introduced in version 2.5.
>
> So... are we ready to take this step yet ?
>
> What do you think ???

I wonder if there's a compile-time (or daemon-start time) way to
determine the python version and then use the appropriate module and
methods.  Compile-time could reduce the minor overhead of supporting
both, but it isn't as flexible if the python version changes after gD is
installed.

I support trying this first before dropping md5 support, but I wouldn't
hesitate to drop it.  Software evolves and most (if not all) modern
distros I imagine are up to at least Python 2.5.

Joe