Re: Failed to contact configuration server

Hey Sean,

This same problem has killed my own desktop changing project:
https://launchpad.net/gnome-wallchanger

I've looked for solutions, and there ain't any easy ones. The measure of
stopping gconf changes via processes that are outside of the GUI
instance is a royal pain for the crontab. If you can add some of the ENV
vars, it should work.

The only real stable solution is to develop a crontab that runs inside
of gnome when you log on. Or just convince gnome devs to abandon gconf
in favour of yaml XDG config files. (heh)

I've heard the advice from certain devs who will suggest that you should
create a daemon process that runs all the time. Although that rather
defeats the point of having infrastructural components which save the
dev time, and the user computer's resources.

Oh well, back to doing something more useful, beating head against a
brick wall.

Regards, Martin