Re: Locking down the gnome desktop

Alex Howe schrieb:

I am trying to lock down my ubuntu 7.10 LTSP server for non admin users. I have trailed through the forums to find answers but still no joy.

I want to be able to do the following:

- lock down the desktop to stop users from changing the background image.
- lock down the menus so they can't be edited.
- lock down all of the panels

The best solution for this would be to disable the right click function on the desktop and panels a bit like how the kde kiosk tool works.

There should be gconf keys to achieve most of what you want..

I tried the following things:

Pessulus - Only allows locking of the panels.
Sayabon profile editor - Crashes so much that it's unusable.

You could also look at Apoc <http://apoc.freedesktop.org/wiki/Apoc>. It provides live administration of default and mandatory settings, possibly via a central server. It plugs into gconf as a backend. Alas, there aren't binary release yet and I don't know if anyone has used it on Ubuntu yet.

Most of the posts and info I have read reference the gconf-editor. Is there any way to achieve this?

Lockdown settings really belong into the mandatory gconf settings, but gconf-editor edits settings for the current user. There are several ways to bridge this gap:

- Sabayon is really intended to do that for you, if you use gconf-editor in a Sabayon-managed session.

- You can do essentially what sabayon would do yourself: Run a session under a test account. Make settings in gconf-editor. Use gconftool-2 --dump to dump the settings to a file. Use gconftool-2 --direct --config-source <...> --load <file> to load the file into the mandatory settings.

- Jörg

--
Joerg Barfurth           phone: +49 40 23646662 / x66662
Software Engineer        mailto:joerg barfurth sun com