gconf problems

Hello,

I hope you can help me with my gconf problem.   I depend on gnuCash for my
accounting and currently it will not work properly.  By now I have
un-installed, re-installed, installed everything I can in an attempt to get
gconf to work again.

Per instructions at http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/    = (Some other
weird thing is wrong with my gconf!!!)

Unfortunately, I am unable to view my user log file.  When I enable user
logging my system seems to spend 99.9% of its time logging with constant HD
activity and I can't get anything else done.

********
A.  Exact error messages from any applications.

Error Message from Gnome log viewer:
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need
to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a
system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information.
(Details -  1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-root/lock/ior' not opened successfully,
no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR
file '/tmp/gconfd-root/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located:
No such file or directory)

Comment:  Stale NFS locks certainly could be part of the problem.

Error Message from gnuCash:
An error occured while loading or saving configuration files for gnucash.
Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.
NOTE 1:  The error message has a "details" button.  Clickin on the button has
no effect.   Details are not displayed.

NOTE 2:  The lock file problem is affecting all of my Gnome  programs that use
gconf.  I have attempted to use my gconf editor with results similar to
above.

********
B.  Currently Installed Versions:

gconf
        Version: 1.0.9-25mdv2008.0
        Currently installed version: 1.0.9-25mdv2008.0
        Architecture: x86_64
        Size: 1235 KB
        Medium: None

gconf-2
        Version: 2.20.0-1mdv2008.0
        Currently installed version: 2.20.0-1mdv2008.0
        Architecture: x86_64
        Size: 4994 KB
        Medium: None

********
C.  Output of ps jaxwww | grep gconf.

[root localhost ~]# ps jaxwww | grep gconf
 1279  1998  1997  1276 pts/1     1997 S+       0   0:00 grep --color gconf

********
D.  Output of gconf-sanity-check-1 or gconf-sanity-check-2 if any.

[root localhost ~]# gconf-sanity-check-1

[root localhost ~]# gconf-sanity-check-2
-bash: gconf-sanity-check-2: command not found

********
What operating system are you using, and what version of it.

Madriva 2008
Currently installed version: 2.20.0-1mdv2008.0

NOTE 3.  The same problem occured when I was using Mandriva 2007.1
However, gfonf was working until approximately 2 months ago.  To the best of
my my recollection, around that time I had a system crash which required a
power off reboot.

I normally use KDE,  not Gnome, and use gnucash about twice per month.  I did
not notice the problem immediately so I cannot duplicate it.

Thanks,

Mike Zulkoski