Locked file prevents logging in by user on client

Dear Gconf,
I have a problem logging into my client as user and have rebooted. I get PreSession Defaults and a GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash.

I looked on your website for information.

It also says (Details - 1:IOR file 'tmp/gconfd-rita/lock/ior' not opened successfuly, no gconfd located: Permission denied: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-rita/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied). And it also says: Failed to unlink lock file /tmp/gconfd-rita/lock/ior: Permission denied. And gconf-sanity-check-2 did not pass, logging back out.

The system version is CentOS release 4.2 (Final).

What should I do?
Thanks,

Rita J. Taylor