Re: gnome-terminal does not start

Well, this may or may not help you, but when I start having weird problems with gconf it's always been permissions problems for me. One time I messed with some of the .gconf folders and inadvertently changed the permissions on them, and so nothing was working. You could *try* this to make sure they are correct:

cd ~theuser
chown -R theuser:theuser .gconf .gconfd
chmod 700 -R .gconf .gconfd
find .gconf -type f -exec chmod 600 {} \;
find .gconfd -type f -exec chmod 600 {} \;

Jason